View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
|3iodiesel300T|)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsblack009 View Post
Wouldn't the lip from the rusted on piston ring break off the piston ring once started up? I mean the engine can rev up to like 3600RPM *I think*, the lip feels pretty hard, I could easily remove some surface rust rubbing it off with some oil and a rag but this doesn't seem to come off, its as hard as welding kinda
If you have that much rust on left on the cylinder walls your rings may be shot. Try chipping it off with your fingernail or some plastic. I'd also think that some very fine steel wool would work, something that would just polish the cylinder wall and not actual remove much material. I wouldn't use sandpaper it may be to abrasive. Make sure to get all the dust and bits removed before rotating the engine.

If the timing chain is removed, I'm not sure that it is critical to only rotate the engine in the direction of normal rotation. The reasoning behind never rotating the engine backward is because you can cause slack in the chain and cause it to skip a tooth. But with no chain this is kind of a mute point. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.
'77 300D ~ Sold