View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Please remember the plastic and wood parts are around 30 years old. Take your time and be gentle.

Get the console piece pulled back and raised. The switches wont allow much lift and I found the drivers side best to start with. Removing the switches is done by pressing in at the top of the switch end on the metal retaining clip. Push it in with the screwdriver and give a slight push up on the switch bottom. Both ends will need to be done.

This is after the wire connectors are removed from the switch bottoms.

Once out of the console I labeled mine (1) just as habit.

On the bench I first wire brushed the metal clips.

Next slide the screwdriver blade down into the side of the switch which will allow the rocker pin to pop out of the switch housing. Again both sides need to be done.

All versions I have seen of this switch are spring loaded. Not the kind that will sink parts into the ceiling but there are 2 springs under the rocker.

Add to your tools needed a parts bowl of some kind.

As parts come off its good to take pics to insure your memory is sharp. Its a good time to put them in the parts bowl.

I used Tarnex to clean the connector pins on the base. They came out a bright silver, much brighter than they came out.

The pics show the munge in the bottom of the switch area. Rubbing alcohol and Qtips made short work of most of it. The wooden BBQ skewers finished off the stubborn material.

The contactor pieces were next and they too came out bright and shiny as pic 3 shows.
Steel balls next along with the springs that are actually held captive with lube inside the plastic rocker piece taken off to get to the switch interior.

Make sure the pins that stick up in the switch bottom are all clean. I also cleaned the copper traces which is good if you are visually checking for breaks, other than that its overkill.
Attached Thumbnails
300D Console switch repair.-cimg0088.jpg   300D Console switch repair.-cimg0089.jpg   300D Console switch repair.-cimg0091.jpg   300D Console switch repair.-cimg0098.jpg   300D Console switch repair.-cimg0097.jpg  

1992 940T

"If you dont have time to do it safely, you dont have time to do it"

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Last edited by TnBob; 03-27-2012 at 11:10 PM.