View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Ghost of Diesels Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Sorry, this is all really common knowledge and forgot to mention it, you should try a search on the 722.6 trans, you should even be able to find some DIY info on the conductor plate and so forth.
Few things I can cover quickly, yes there is no dipstick, just the cap. The stick is a shop tool. It is critical on fluid level and the Germans doesn't want "the public" fooling with it. If there is no leak, there is no need to worry i guess, some truth to that. The temp of the fluid has to be closely monitored, the sds has a function of using a temp sensor in the trans to monitor the temp, then using the shop tool to measure the level.

The trans is said to be "filled for life", but at this point yeah you probably could do the fluid change. Luckily this one is early enough that you can drain the torque converter like the earlier trasmissions. OH you HAVE to use the MB fluid, it is EXpensive stuff.
The MB stuff.. awesome. Considering I want to put fresh fluid in after putting the new conductor plate in and sticking some magnets inthe pan and then flush again with new fluid and a new filter.

awesome. What does that stuff retail for per quart.