View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

I do not know much about archeology but I suspect most would take issue with your description of them as grave robbers.

The research done on the Egyptians has revealed a great deal about their society. The remains and artifacts are on display it seems more as a learning experience then a voyeuristic one. The Pharaohs are as much a part of the history as the pyramids them selves. The ancient Mayans are as much a part of their history as their pyramids are.

As I think about this perhaps it is not so much a matter of time but what is being done with the artifacts. As far as I am aware no one is holding auctions to sell artifacts from ancient Egyptian or Mayan culture. The remains from the Hunley were given a military burial. The artifacts were put on display so that people can learn more about the men who died.

With the Titanic, people are buying these artifacts. The Titanic is a grave site. We do not accept this type of behavior from the USS Arizona. As far as I am aware there have not been any expeditions to the Bismark to loot her. Why do we accept this from the Titanic?

As far as I am concerned, the only things that should have been removed were pats of the hull or what ever else may have shed some light on her sinking. Once the samples and research was done, the pieces should have been returned to the site and left there.

I would love to see an international law protect these sites.

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.