View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Not dumba$$, perfectionist !!
Simple rule ~ if it aint broke then dont try & fix it !!!
Best you get back to enjoying your car!!!
Its for driving, not pulling to pieces !!
Glad to see you had the brains not to jump in & pull the head off on a wild goose chase.
Yeah, that's the problem with having been a Navy nuke power machinist mate and a submariner for 20 years - it HAD to be right, your life might depend on it - and old habits are hard to break.

OTOH, when I'm done "refitting" a vehicle, it doesn't give me any major problems for quite some time afterwards.

I'm still thinking of getting the borescope and taking a look-see down inside the cylinders - might be the only time in the remaining life of the vehicle I get a chance to do so.

I picked up one of the Mityvac coolant system pressure test kits at NAPA for $54, and did a cold pressure test on the system to spot any internal leaks. Good news is inside the cylinders and the head everything stayed dry as a bone. Bad news is the gaskets for the thermostat housing and water pump were not so dry, and at the joint between the plastic and metal cap fitting on the coolant bottle is an air leak that was clearly audible anywhere above 10 psi. Now I know why the PO had a 13 psi cap on the bottle.

Already had a new coolant bottle to swap in, need to order new gaskets for the thermostat housing and water pump. Might as well get a new bypass/relief valve for the back side of the IP while I can get to it. Sending off the injectors in the next couple of days to get them checked out while I've got everything apart.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club