View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM

1991 190e will not start

I bought a 1991 190e 2.6 Mercedes Benz from a lady on craigslist. The car is cherry inside and out. It also had a new set of tires on it. I figured I could make my money back by selling one of the seats for what I paid for the car. I don't want to do that. You hear about deals like this all the time and think where are they? This was one of those deals.

There was only one problem with the car. It turns over real good and strong but will not start. The lady said that she drove it round trip about 2oo miles a day for a couple of years without any trouble. One day the car started running rough and sputtering then quit on her. So she said that after it sit like over night it would start back and run fine then quit. Her husband bought her a new car and she gave the car to her daughter. The car stranded her daughter twice doing the same thing and that's when they desided to sell the car. She said the car has been sitting for several months.

The lady said her husband put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on the car. It also looks to have a new distributor cap and the spark plugs look new also. I have pulled the first spark plug out and checked for a spark and I do get a spark. I also put fuel down in the throttle body and it still won't start. Although the lady said it would start briefly using starter fluid. I also put a new battery in the car.

When I went to pick up the car I boosted it with jumper cables and tried to start it and it acted like it wanted to start and did for about 3 seconds and quit. I towed the car home and got a new battery and it still won't start not even briefly like it was doing at the ladies house. I have the most beautiful Mercedes sitting in my driveway for the last month and I can't even drive it. I am dumb founded and bummed out. Can anyone please help me?