View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Yes they did have the MB logo ground off and I have also seen them sold through the after-market with the MB Logo still on! Remember 3 separate companies are involved in the manufacture of that mounting. A Metal Pressing company for the base, Aluminum Die Casting company for the wedge and an Injection Molding company for the final Op. They could even be in 3 different countries either owned by or sub-contracting to Lemförder.

Most of MB OEM’s supply the after-market when they have completed their quotas for the month. They would never survive without it and a growing number don’t even with it. The bottom line is when you buy a Lemförder mount it could have been made anywhere in the world Czechoslovakia, Hungary, South Africa, Brazil. Don’t believe what you see on the box.

The important question is, are ANY of the Mountings in the after-market made by either the OEM’s or other manufacturer’s made to conform with MB’s specs. The answer is unequivocally NO! If they can find a cheaper component for the after-market version they will and in this case it will be the rubber compound, most probably re-cycled rubber with no Quality Control.
I am thinking that if someone was going to lie about what country a Part was made in they would not pic Turkey.
Also on the Lemfoerder Motor Mounts with the exception of the Star being ground off all of the mold markings are the same and they even had the same blue dot or dots on them.

However, I bought an Engine Thermostat for my Volvo. On the Box it said Made in Israel; on the Thermostat it said Made in Germany. This does not seem like it was a scam to sell me an inferior part.

Years ago I bought a set of Gabriel Shock Absorbers. One was made in the US and the other was made in Mexico.

So if buying Parts is a gamble I still think the odds favor buying ones that have the greatest posibbilty of being good.
The other ways to go are to buy from the Dealer and maybe pay a lot for the same Part or give in and go with the cheapest available and hope for the best.