View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM

92 400E transmission interchange

I was a mechanic for VW for quite a while, so I am capable, but I am new to Mercedes and I was wondering what other transmissions I can use in a 92 400E with a 722.354 transmission ? A friend of mine has one from an S500 (W140), but it is the 140 body style so I am not sure if that would fit, but I am getting desperate and need to find one or even just one that will work pretty soon. Am I correct assuming it can fit from most if not all 722.3-- transmissions ?

I am thinking it will need replaced since mine drops out of gear at stoplights and there is a noise like something is moving in the bellhousing that goes away when I put it into gear. (Torque Converter ??)

ALSO - I have seen Mercedes service manuals on this site, but cant find any transmission manuals - I could rebuild it if I had the service manual handy.

Thanks alot for everyone's help - bought this car for my wife and 1 hour later, it has a bad tranny - she is just sick about it and Im trying to get something done for her and her poor car.

Last edited by shoesbenz; 04-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.