View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Just rearranged the speaker wiring on my 85 300D.

It was arranged as Yak described. In other words, positive wire from each speaker goes to fader. Also, the positive wires from the back of the radio go to the fader.

The negative wires from the speakers terminate about 1ft short of the fader under a plastic sheath. The negatives from the back of the radio terminate at the same point and are soldered to the left or right hand speaker wires making two 3-way joints. Yaks drawing shows this.

What I did, was:
- cut off the fader plug
- pull off the sheath on the fader harness after removing a couple of tie-wraps under console cover. (this exposes the soldered negative joints)
- taped over the soldered joints, then used the smaller sheathed wire that connects to the radio, to pull the wires into the radio opening.
- I then snipped off the solder joints. This leaves the speakers wires in pairs - the long one (colored) is the positive and the short one (plain) is the negative
- It is easy to see which wires are which for the front speakers (see below for my colours)
- For rear speakers use flashlight battery to make speakers click to find out which is which.
- Hook everything up and Bobs yer Uncle
(see Noob needs help replacing old Becker with new stereo for power connections)

For my 85 300D:
Front left speaker - Green/Brown
Front right speaker - Red/Brown
Rear left speaker - Yellow/Black
Rear right speaker - Black/White

The speaker wire colours on this wiring diagram don't seem correct

1985 300D that had Becker Grand Prix 612, now with Alpine CDE-100.

Last edited by Graham; 04-25-2012 at 03:16 PM.