View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz Dr. View Post
I've been rebuildingh distributors for over 20 years and I really can't see why they put it together like that. The earlier have a hardened pin that is driven in with a light spring fitting into a groove that prevents it from ever moving. The spring is one of those feel good items because the pin will never come out.

The distributors with gear drive are different but they really shouldn't drive any harder than a 6.3 or a 300SE. I suspect that they wanted the gear to be very tight so that it would never develope any play given that the tigger points are also timed to the distributor shaft and need to stay in time with everything else. I've seen a number of distributors where the bottom collar became somewhat loose and idle speed timing was all over the place due to loose parts.
Hi Dr.

I think Bosch never intended this shaft and gear to be taken apart...and these germans loved to overdo things.
After all it is just a bunch of crazy guys doing such thing like taking a 40 year old distributor apart in order to bring it back to spec.
It is our appreciation that it is still possible to drive an old Mercedes. This is real style!
Questions:
1) what diameter has the inner pin? 4.0mm?
2) did you ever get this pin out with a punch or would you say ...no way...take a press?
Thanks Martin