View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

hello,

i tried google-ing the head gasket kit, but i really could find any decent pics of what the kit consists of.

1) make sure to buy head gasket kit from the dealer. if for some reason you cant then at least make sure that the head gasket is made by the company Elring, they make the genuine/updated head gasket.

2) spark plugs: Bosch F8dc4 (or equivalent, just remember copper cores only)

3) see the following post for a ton of good info on head gasket replacement:
My head gasket replacement notes (long) - M104 '95 E320

A) washers are not necessary: see post#3

B) both crankcase breather hoses (found on black plastic intake , near #2 cyl) should be replaced.

C) timing cover U-seal should also be replaced if not included in head gasket kit

Timing chain tensioner , i am not sure, my personal advice would be if its still good why replace it . the timing chain guides are accessible only by removing the lower timing chain cover. check the chain for stretch, if there is more than 5degrees then replace chain along with tensioner and chain guides. (NOTE: am not 100%sure if 5degrees is max allowed stretch, it may be more or less)

Another thing to replace if not included in head gasket kit, intake manifold rubber gaskets.

valve cover gasket:
a while back i replaced mine with a victor reinz kit, am not satisfied, leaks oil to spark plug holes, so go with a genuine kit if possible.

good luck