View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxthe1 View Post
You'll want to replace the two rubber hoses that connect under the center of the intake
Do you have a picture or part number of this so I can find it in the EPC? What do these rubber hoses connect to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds190 View Post
Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets if you plan to remove either.

What's the mileage on the engine? Chain tensioner can't hurt, and easy to do it now.

Is the front timing cover leaking? Maybe redo it as well?

How's the short hose from the head to the water pump look? Also easy replace now.
Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets look to be included in the head gasket kit. Mileage is somewhere around 150k miles. Haven't checked the front timing cover on the motor, but if it is leaking I will for sure replace it as well as the chain guides and tensioner it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyr View Post
hello,

i tried google-ing the head gasket kit, but i really could find any decent pics of what the kit consists of.

1) make sure to buy head gasket kit from the dealer. if for some reason you cant then at least make sure that the head gasket is made by the company Elring, they make the genuine/updated head gasket.

2) spark plugs: Bosch F8dc4 (or equivalent, just remember copper cores only)

3) see the following post for a ton of good info on head gasket replacement:
My head gasket replacement notes (long) - M104 '95 E320

A) washers are not necessary: see post#3

B) both crankcase breather hoses (found on black plastic intake , near #2 cyl) should be replaced.

C) timing cover U-seal should also be replaced if not included in head gasket kit

Timing chain tensioner , i am not sure, my personal advice would be if its still good why replace it . the timing chain guides are accessible only by removing the lower timing chain cover. check the chain for stretch, if there is more than 5degrees then replace chain along with tensioner and chain guides. (NOTE: am not 100%sure if 5degrees is max allowed stretch, it may be more or less)

Another thing to replace if not included in head gasket kit, intake manifold rubber gaskets.

valve cover gasket:
a while back i replaced mine with a victor reinz kit, am not satisfied, leaks oil to spark plug holes, so go with a genuine kit if possible.

good luck
As far as I know, the washers are needed if the head bolts are unflanged. Otherwise if the head bolts have flanges on them, I do not need the washers. I know this from my M103/M102 experiences, is this the same with M104?

Thanks for all the tips guys.