View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
1987 w124 300D

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecooke View Post
I have a 1984 300d and I'm running 100% wvo with a 2 tank system. I have a FPHE before the IP.

My car runs very cool. Just about 60 on the temp gauge. I was thinking about replacing the thermostat with a stock or a higher temp thermostat. Does anyone know where I could get a higher temp thermostat? Brand/size/model?

I was also thinking that it's better on the motor life if the engine is running cooler but since I'm running wvo, I need the fuel hot. Any thoughts on this?

I was also thinking about not replacing the thermostat and adding injector line heaters. That way the engine runs cool but the fuel is hot. Would that be the ideal situation for any car running wvo?

Thx

pete
Add injector line heaters, they are a must. Regardless of how hot your coolant is heating fuel going into the IP, when fuel exits the IP and travels down the hard lines it will have dropped easily 20C degrees from what your interior gauge reads.

If your car is reading 60C you are probably getting around 40C at best at the injector while you're driving (wind rush over engine). Not hot enough for SVO/WVO. You can check this yourself by getting a small dial gauge metal probe style thermometer and lash the tip of it alongside an injector line near the injector, and insulate this with a wrap of cloth that is about 2 inches thick. This is the only true reading that matters. You'll be shocked!

If you can't afford or don't want to do heaters right away, just wrap the lines with insulation having some good R-value to it that can take engine heat without melting. Maybe it will look stupid but engine thanks you.

1987 300D