View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Diesel View Post
I am getting an 87 300e Wagon Turbo Diesel tomorrow. My friend is the original owner and has owned a few diesel Mercedes over the years. He said the car was gradually getting harder to start until one day it wouldn't. He thought it might be the glow plugs. He towed it to the shop and since it has been there 5 months since the breakdown, the shop foreman cannot remember what exactly is wrong and the work order cannot be found. He vaguely remembers the problem as possibly injection pump timing because he said it DID run but was very hard to start. That is all I have to go on. I would love a few suggestions of what to check upon initial inspection when I get it to my house tomorrow. The car has 234k and has had timely services during its life. A member on BenzWorld suggested delivery valve seals on the pump, but could timing chain stretch also cause the pump to be WAY out of time it will not start?
if regularly serviced, it's unlikely to be the timing chain stretch. most likely is glow plugs, or glow plug relay/fuse, but I'd imagine any shop would check that first... My 87 TD (technically, classed as an E300 TD) has a problem with air getting in the pump via the fuel temp thermostat leaking... simple fix, but I just park with the nose down, and it starts up every time.
another possibility is the shutoff valve has failed, and it's keeping the car from starting. ya check that by starting the car and watching the stop lever for motion... if it flutters, it's likely the valve.
aside from those simple checks, ya'd have to have the car and tell us some symptoms first...

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!