View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
davidlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
Just a note, on some 603s, the center shaft does not come out. Mine has the lid type where you just take the two side bolts out and lift the whole lid, shaft and all, out. It will be pretty obvious when you open the hood though, as there either will or won't be a 13mm bolt in the middle of the lid.
I did notice that the Head of the center bolt is starting to round at the edges just a little, maybe the PO at one point (or the last person to change it for me) might not have used the right size.(or used a 12 point) I was able to loosen and tighten it with out further damage but as I was tightening it I was thinking to my self that maybe it should be replaced before it strips out and leaves me stuck.
I did notice that there are no threads at the bottom of the shaft anyway it only skrews into the lid. So if you are saying, that bolt technically doesn't need to unskrew to do the job, then maybe next time I wont touch it. Ill just do what you mentioned above. and check and or replace the 2 lower O ring seals at each oil change.
No need to mess with extra things if its not needed on these these cars. right?

07 E350 sport Wife's Daily
01 E320 sport My Daily
00 C230 Kompressor Our back up (new Arrival)

87 300D Turbo my Daily for 8 yrs. Selling to neighbor

82 GMC Jimmy (K5) 6.2 Diesel (my Wheeler)
73 Roadrunner 340ci My very first car, still own it