View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 PM
davidlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Just out of curiosity, what soot levels are you seeing at 9k miles? And, is your EGR deleted?

On my 602 (5-cylinder and with EGR still intact), I did an oil analysis at 7750 miles and soot was 1.1%. Not alarming in my view (I use M1 TDT), but I decided to play it more conservatively and stick with intervals in the 5-6K range. Part of my logic is that, if I ever have a timing chain snap, I don't want to be in the position of saying, "If only I had changed my oil more frequently!"

There was a long and interesting thread a while back on acceptable soot levels.

FWIW, while there are heated debates on this forum between dino and synthetic, everyone here seems convinced that one should only run longer drain intervals with a good synthetic.
I have not done an check on soot level for my oil yet, but I have have tons of buddies that run Cummins and Powerstrokes, and they just Belt out smoke when they drive hard. tons of soot, which means more going into oil. Way more than what my car would produce, at around 10K my friend did a soot check on his oil and It was 1.8%. less than 2% is safe.
His truck sees way more severe driving than my Benz does so I figred since Im running All stock, Except re route vac lines and EGR blocked off. I should be perfectly safe up to 8K.
When I get upto 5K on this oil I will do a check to see where I sit on soot and oil breakdown.

07 E350 sport Wife's Daily
01 E320 sport My Daily
00 C230 Kompressor Our back up (new Arrival)

87 300D Turbo my Daily for 8 yrs. Selling to neighbor

82 GMC Jimmy (K5) 6.2 Diesel (my Wheeler)
73 Roadrunner 340ci My very first car, still own it