View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
yep. That is indeed how I took the 2nd measurement.
I set the gauge up about the middle of its travel range so it had plenty enough room to drop and take the reading. I spun the face of the dial around to 0 it out before I started rotating the cam.

So, now what do I make of the readings?
Should I be still focusing on the timing, or move on to something else as being the cause of the smoke?
OK you've got a measurement of 7 degrees at the crank then?

And this is after top dead centre?

So according to the data in the FSM / shown in the DIY in the wiki that's impossible.

My advice is to do either of the following

1) Check the measurement again.

Repeatability is everything. If you can consistently get the same answer then you are more likely to trust it!

I realise that you might have staged the photographs you posted... but I'm a bit worried that you were a bit close to the end of the probe travel in the clock gauge => the small pointer looks to me to be far too close to zero / too close for comfort?

2) Look for an existing woodruff key / offset key - you might find one that has been fitted the wrong way round.

PeachPartsWiki: Camshaft Woodruff (offset) Key install

All you have to do is remove the bolt in front of the camshaft pulley to see if there is one
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!