View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Fold on dotted line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I thought this was interesting. Cuban's a goofball, but he's a pretty sharp guy and has done pretty well for himself. I think he's on to something.

U.S. News and World Report-Education
From the linked blog post:
The Coming Meltdown in College Education & Why The Economy Won’t Get Better Any Time Soon

And:
I think we're rapidly approaching a crossroads. You have the students, who are increasingly deciding they don't want to go into a house mortgage-sized debt to pay for college. Then you have the Gen-X and Y moving into the management/upper management positions who are much more open to alternative education or at least less concerned with where a perspective employee went to school and more with whether of not they can successfully perform the tasks required. 'What have you done for me lately' if you will.

Universities are partly at fault for straying from the focus of teaching, training and providing opportunities for educational/career experience. Now the schools-for-profit are doing their best to "sell" as many "clients" as possible on their college: yeah right, become a Phoenix. See if hire you.

Regular universities are bloated with administrators making 300K like the VP of admin at Oakland University. Whay value does he add? I'd rather give a raise to the business and technical profs who teach kids a skill and how to start a business.

I spent 11 years at Chrysler working indirectly for Harry Lewis and Bob Lutz when they ran the reengineering operation in Chrysler, up to 1997. The idea was simple: everyone does something that adds value to the company or they get redeployed into a job that does. If you lost your job because your skills were superceded, you had three choices: limited unemployment, training for a new position and/or movement into something else you could prove that you could do. Over 11 years we displaced almost 16,000 salaried and hourly people (witrh the blessing of the UAW, because no one was "sacrificed"), but no one was laid off, because people wanted to be a part of a company they were proud of, and that took care of them. That's why Chrysler was voted the Company of the Year in 1997, before the MB merger, when selected people then made power plays and ruined it for everyone.

The same type of stupid greed will ruin it for people who want/ have a degree. That's why I want my son to graudate without any debt before the whole mess boils over....and Cuban is right-- it will!

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt
3 x Citroen DS21M, down from 5
3 x Citroen 2CV, down from 6