View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 PM
...like a shield of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Since my notch alignment reading (about 0 or -2) seemed consistent with my (+7) measurement via the gauge method I figured it was a solid test.
I hear what you are saying however the whole point of going through the whole 2mm lift / drop method is to make an accurate reading. If you end up with a result that is "about" 0 or 2 degrees there is something wrong. You should be able to get the same result every time within 0.5 degrees - you've got a graduated scale that is good enough for that on the front of the crank.

The thing that doesn't make sense however is that your measurements seem to be suggesting that you've got a shrinking chain. There's been a lot of talk about chain stretch / elongation but there's not much evidence of chain shrinkage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post

I can't imagine that a woodruf key could have been in there wrong for all the 40k miles have had it and had decent performance. It has only been in the last 800 miles that it has started smoking up a storm.

It does seem unlikely doesn't it?

But there is no harm in checking to see if something is fitted. It would be good to know if there is a key fitted or not.

Note also that the FSM expects about 2 degrees of elongation after 20,000 km - that means that if nothing has been touched for the last 40,000 miles (that's a lot more than 20,000 kilometers) you would expect to have at least the same amount of elongation - may be as much as 4 degrees chain elongation.

I don't trust your measurement - sorry!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!