View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 08:13 PM

Greetings fellow vegetarians... or something like that. Just a few comments.

- You could certainly build the heated tank setup (like the Greasel arrangement). Just takes awhile to gather up the pieces and modify the tank. I just finished my tank last night, planned to install everything today but got sidetracked adjusting valves instead...

- I've seen the inline (electric) heaters. They pull a pretty heavy load and don't heat fuel in the tank, so I don't know how they'd work with straight veg oil.

- The great thing about the heated tank setup is you can run veg oil regardless of temperature. You start and run on diesel until the engine and veg oil is warm, then switch over to 100% veg oil. Then switch back to clear the IP before shutting down. So, it works year round.

-I just collected 10 gallons of used cooking oil this morning. Took 10 minutes to fill two 5 gallon containers, put containers and pump back in car. I just gravity feed into filter suspended over 55 gallon drum, so only time required is a few seconds to put a container up and open the valve.

- My pump is just like a gas station pump. Back the car into the garage and fill up.

So, collecting can be quick but it's a little messy. Trick is to get oil in bulk when you're in ratty clothes anyway. After that, it's just like pumping at a gas station...except for not paying.... (I love that part..).

Fred