View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Gentlemen, on a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult would you rate these engine repairs?

I've had a small from my front crank seal for some time. However, after a 1,100 mile road trip (and adding 1 and 1/2 quarts of oil along the route) last weekend, I'm now finding puddles of oil underneath my W115. If I'm going to tear into it that far, I might as well replace the water pump and rebuild the vacuum pump while I'm at it.

Vacuum pump: seems pretty straight forward and Phil sells both the diaphragm and the check valve kits.

Water pump: I guess the big concern here is rounding off the fan bolts, or so says the Other Guy ™. I suppose that I need both the housing gasket and the actual water pump gasket?

Front seal: This intimidates me. From reading the board, I'll need to pull the radiator, find the correct puller, hope the seal mates properly, and put it back together sans leaks and without the the crank bolt backing out.

Although I can do the basic things on my 240D, the most complicated thing to date has been reinstalled the IP. Everything else (timing chain, valve seals) I've farmed out to my Indie.

How would you gents rate this repair?

Last edited by bipolardave; 06-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.