View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 03:08 AM
Down to the Wear Bars

My '54 chevy had been backed into at the JC one afternoon, leaving a crease in the front of the hood (Large, heavy, bulbose affair which extended down into the grill - not light, flat sheet metal like these days). I made sure the hood was secure and wouldn't move (It wouldn't budge, couldn't even open it), and drove home.

Next morning on the way to class before going to the body shop, there was a heavy rainstorm. I drove over the old Santa Clara River bridge on US 101 along the coast on the way to the JC in Ventura, driving about 50mph because of the heavy rain, and being rapidly passed by every damn fool who didn't want to believe the impresive accident statistics for that old 4 lane undivided bridge could apply to them. Half way across, with no warning, the hood catch let go and the hood slammed against the windscreen, bending back over the roof, and I was instantly flying blind.

I cranked the window down as fast as I could and stuck my head out in the rain to see where I was going, and what was going to ram me from the rear if I braked. I glanced in the side mirror just in time to see the woman who had been about to pass me at about 70mph panic and slam on her brakes (no disk brakes or ABS back then). She lost control and started a slow spin, while gaining on me. She was about to broadside me in the tail end so I sped up, then she continued her spin and passed me tail first. I slowed down as she kept her spin going broadside in front of me. She spun about two more complete circles before hitting the rail and tearing out some of the old concrete railing, but didn't go into the river. Lots of mutual hysteria, but no injuries

I missed my class!

2003 Firemist Red/grey leather SL 500
2015 Palladium Silver/black mbtex GLK 350
1987 Smoke Silver/burgundy mbtex 300E Sportline (SOLD)

Click to see 87 300E