View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM

bowden cable adjustment confusion

Hi folks,

chasing my 4500 rpm shift saga, I did some tests here is the data

when shifter in 3 pedal to the floor the engine pulls all the way to 5500 rpm and hangs on the governor - this is about 85 mph, no sputter no drama, an angry strong pull. btw OM606 sounds really mean at this rpm.

I reduce speed to 60 and shift to D, floor it, downshifts to 3 - goes till 70 mph in 3rd (exactly 4500 rpm) and shifts to 4.

I stopped and checked the cable adjustments, the FSM is quite cryptic in this - pull cable to feel slight resistance, adjust from sleeve and attach ball socket to ball head in this fashion.. PERFECT - I do that and the transmission cable runs out of length - meaning that the transmission cable is now stopping the accelerator linkage to go in full range, If I pull on the linkage the trans cable bracket starts to bend. back it off a little and I get early boggy shifts.

mechanics tell that the cable should be installed in a way that you pull it fully and adjust the adjuster in a way that at full accelerator the linkage lines up, I do that and I have extremely quick shifts - Im in third gear by 35 mph at more than half pedal, the transmission now shifts at 4000 rpm max..

How do you adjust this thing??

and when I pull the transmission cable, at the very end of travel it feels spongy - I have experience with jap cars and their kickdown cable positively stop against something - this one is kind of mushy..

This mechanic I consulted told me that maybe the speed governor pressure is too high causing the transmission to shift before redline, or the cable is wrongly installed in the trans,

The modulator is working because it holds vacuum and the way I have adjusted the bowden cable by feel I cannot even feel the shifts it glides.

Anyone with transmission experience please recommend something.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)