View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
My filtering will consist of dumping fuel into a high tank then letting it drip through some sort of filter on it's way to another tank. I can deal with a very fine filter since time isn't a issue as would be a inline system. Separating the bulk of the water would be easy but not what is mixed in. I've seen ultra low sulfur ( green ) diesel get water in it and it remains cloudy even after the tank had been drained. ( I'm dealing with regular red diesel )

In the old days there was a engine oil filter that used a roll of toilet paper, I'd guessing this was a bad idea as toilet paper is designed to come apart when water hits it. I was thinking about a paper towel roll with the center removed to act as a filter since paper towels hold up a bit better. Any other common costs nothing filtering element would be in the table as well.

My main concern with the fuel is algae, I'm thinking if a fine enough filter can be used it won't pass through ( or at least very little of it. )
You are speaking of the Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filter and there was another called Motor Guard that used Toilet Paper (from the past).

The Frantz ones are frequently on eBay and cost a bit when sold. The Motor Guard is still being made but is sold as an Compress Air Line Moisture absorber.

There is another that can use Toilet Paper Element is made by Gulf Coast Filters. I think they are still in production and the Make large Big Rig typ Filters that can use Paper Towel Rolls as Elements.