View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM

You know enough and have enough experience to determine your comfort zone. In my world it would be a pretty decent example especially that far north.

I think the object would be to pay no more than you felt you could resell it for. It would bring a fair dollar on ebay unless the market has gone sour I would think.

The milage if true is lower that is common and that is worth something at least. You really cannot put the original milage back into a car once it hasd been used up. Sure you can spend a lot of money making it almost as good but usually fall short.

This one may be worth taking care of as eventually they will become scarce. The colors are not ideal to many but may be to you. One way to look at that is if the colors had of been some of the most sought after ones you may not have gotten a shot at it.

Too bad the air is not up and running but as you know by now that is far from unusual. If you are at the top end of your comfort zone pricewise I would check everything on a car hoist at least before parting with the money. There are not usually a lot of buyers looking for these today is another factor in local markets. National advertising exposure is another thing.

Three thousand would not shake my tree at all since it is local and you can evaluate it before purchase at little expense plus no recovery costs of going and getting it so to speak of. I put that as worth perhaps a thousand dollars. This car only starts to get tricky at above 3500 dollars in my mind. Less is better of course.

The high engine oil leak hopefully should not be of too much concern. Nor the base oil level 1/2 inch higher. No blowby after warmed up is very nice. I absolutly never believe the odometers on these but there must be the occassional exception.

No driver seat bolster wear indicates below 250k on average usually to me unless the seat has been changed. Windshield milage wear is another item I pay close attention to.

The lower the milage usually the better the condition. This too could have been replaced but usually not. You have a tremendious advantage in having owned them before and presently. Just superficially seems like a decent example of the model and since it is the later version has some other advantages like the lower rear end ratio and the transmission was improved I believe. Last of the series examples may have been better built as well.

If you grab it let us know the price or if not what the owner wanted. Lets hope he does not feel he has the only one in existance anywhere and reflects it in his expected price.

Another thing to always consider is the reducing purchasing value of money. In my world it is a real factor to take into consideration as it is continious. Three thousand today is much less than even three thousand was say even just three years ago. Or at least up here in Canada.

Last edited by barry123400; 06-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.