View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM

I used the tool used in Deliveryvalves post but I was removing Seal that has not been in long. I was removing it becauethe Seal Spring had popped of when I installed it. See Pics.

When I removed the Old Seals I when to the highest point/12:00 on the Seal (the highest point if the differential was installed) and tapped a small Scewdriver between the bore and the Seal edge and pried the Seal out.

You need to be careful with that because it marks up the bore the Seal goes into a little.

However, I took a small Jewlers File and dressed off the high spots and used Permatex Copper Kote Sealent around the seal to seal up any grooves that might have been left by the Screwdriver.

It is not going to leake when you do that because the Differential Fluid is thick and it is not under any pressure (there is a vent in the Differential Housing).

I did not use the Prybar the to remove the Old Seals because I was not willing to spend the hour or so to find where I had put them.
When I was faced with remvoving the new Seal undamged I had to take the time to look for the Pry Bars.

After putting the Spring Back on the Seal I shoved a Socket into the center to keep tension on the Lip and Seal Spring to keep it from popping off again; as suggested by one of our Members.
Attached Thumbnails
W123 Axle Seal removal-differential-seal-removal-1b.jpg   W123 Axle Seal removal-differential-seal-removal-2b.jpg   W123 Axle Seal removal-differential-seal-removal-0b.jpg   W123 Axle Seal removal-differential-seal-removal-3b.jpg