View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Army wrote: from I still can't understand what was happening with the timing check though...
...anyway for this one I'm happy to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - I hope you are too!
yeah. I suspect many parts on many systems are out of tolerance on this car and that all probably test as bad under scrutiny and its just a bit of a crapshoot which one is causing the trouble.

Quote:
funola wrote: Told you to look at the injectors instead of timing back in post #43
Yeah, and you were thinkin turbo as the likely scenario along with several folks. I was trying to eliminate the things I was capable of first before moving on to the more difficult. I understood the turbo to be a difficult job and also digging in to it would have absolutely meant the car would be sitting for much longer as I did that and found parts. Getting an accurate read on the timing ended up being a challenge that sidelined me for quite a while. I also had problems with my other available vehicle (truck) that sidelined me for half a week with some big brake and rotor issues.
I took a bit of a roll of the dice digging into injection first. It just wasn't loosing oil enough oil to think turbo was the main problem. I had also been following this thread where user CenCalBenz had similar symptoms and got some benefit from rebuilding the injectors.
Quote:
funola wrote: Did you replace just one nozzle in #2. I am sure the others still have issues.
I just replaced one nozzle that I had to because it broke. I agree all of them certainly still have issues but I was desperate to get some sort of progress even if that meant I had to tear it all apart again.
I had already ordered and picked up heat shields and got the pop test on a Friday and I had two days of Saturday and Sunday to work on it that I would not be able to order parts anyway so I did the pull apart and clean for a "proof of concept" test.
I only had $15 at risk for the heat shields if it didnt work out and I was doing what I could that didnt involve ordering more parts and having to wait until the first of the next week to get more parts arranged.
Quote:
funola wrote: Since you like to DIY,
Im just a broke guy trying to get my car back on the road. I will do it all properly as soon as have to with all new nozzles and pop testing balancing and such but for now it is drivable and that allows me to move on to the rest of the huge backlog of other broken mechanical things in my life. Its not my style to do things half assed but this is what I had to to go move forward with diagnosis. It just happened to work out that it fixed it.
The problem will rear its head again I am sure and hopefully at that time the site that shall not be named will have the Monark kits in stock.
For now Im one of the cool kids now with my new dial gauge, 1/2" torque wrench, ultrasonic cleaner, and deep sockets.
Quote:
funola wrote: This post should be moved to the alternative fuel section.
It's relevant here I think but its also relevant is something I didn't know until until reading for days on these topics is that injector cleaning or nozzle replacement with alt fuels is considered part of the routine every 20k miles or so.
Looking back over my maintenance logs I had actually been 28k miles with alt fuels (sig now updated) and some of that time had been with admittingly poor de-watering practices. Plus with about 265k on the clock some injector work was probably just due.
If I can Ill add "solved" to the thread title and add some keywords in the first post to help others with similar symptoms find it in a search.

Huge props and thanks to Army. You are the saint of the internet. You were there in the trenches every step of the way and even rallied more troops. I am really blessed to have received all the personal work and attention you put toward my cause.
Thank you so much to all!