View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
macdoe

617 turbo egr exhaust manifold

Hello, We are cleaning some of the parts for reassembly after a head rebuild and I have noticed a difference in the xhaust manifold runner on the #2 cylinder exhaust port.The car we are working on is a 1985 300td. I had to take apart a spare motors cyl. head to get some valves when they rebuilt the 85 head.

The spare motor came out of a 1982 300sd. I was looking at this same #2 port on the 82 exhaust manifold and it looks to be more freeflowing when comparing it to the 85 ex. manifold. The manifolds look the same except for the #2 ex port. I had noticed a different part number on each as well.

Anyone have an idea why they would change the ports on these exhaust manifolds? The head off the 85 got rebuilt because of a broken exhaust guide on the # 2 cylinder as well as I caught a head gasket leak in it's very early stages.

I am wondering which manifold to use? Common sense tells me the one that is less restrictive but thought maybe there was a reason for this change? Did they do it to balance out flow or something...which one is better?