View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 09:03 PM

Hey MDLWOLF, the tank is pretty basic. You just take a plastic boat tank - I got a 12 gallon one for the Benz - cut a slot in the top and stuff a transmission oil cooler down in there. Then make a plate to cover the hole, seal it with epoxy, and maybe run some sheet metal screws in around the perimeter to hold it down. Of course, you need to put a couple of pipe fittings in so you can connect hoses to the cooler through the plate.

Heat is supplied by connecting hoses to heater hoses in engine compartment and running back to connect to the fittings on the tank (and thus through the heat exchanger inside).

Of course, you've got to run a fuel line for the heated veg oil. The original Greasel kits did this by putting a poly tube INSIDE one of the heater hoses. Really simple and effective idea as this assures that full length of fuel line is heated. They used nylon tees and compression fittings/ barbed hose connections to seal the heater hoses where the poly tube exited. Pictures would be the way to go here but I don't have any at the moment.

When I finally get up from this desk and go work on the car I'll get some for you.

Alternatively, you can just buy a kit from Greasel.com or similar and save all the hassle. I don't think I'm saving all that much - maybe a hundred bucks - by building my own. Just thought I'd give it a shot.

fmb