View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 AM

Assuming you are referring to just Mercedes, no.
They started a form of radio theft protection (if you want to call it that) I thik it was late 1980s (I have a card someplace that explained the various systems, probably online someplace now). The system was such that if the radio was without power long enough, you have what is called "dashed lines mode", there were lines like this; = = = = = across the face of the radio, the dealers had this reset tool which cleared the dashed lines.

About 1990 or so is when they started to introduce radios which required a numbered code. The code was preset, the owner did not make up the code. Some mfr's allowed the owner to come up with their own code. (specifically I want to say Audi, for one)

I worked up til 2003, at that point they were getting away from codes, instead the radio would only work with the car it was assigned to. To change the radio required the shop computer to program the radio to the car, so I thnk with MB anyways, codes are gone, but I could be wrong about that, a current owner could confirm or deny if they have a radio code.