Thread: Steering boxes
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Well I think you need to punish them!

Seriously - I'd put the core charge at at least twice the cost of your time and effort and cost of getting one from the junk yard. If you get two for one on a deal where someone can't be bothered to send the old one back at least you are ahead a bit.
Yeah. I was pricing the cores at cost initially because I figured that's exactly what a core should cost. It should really be a guarantee that you aren't going to end up being a supplier instead of a refurbisher.
Quote:
How many of these are you doing a month then?
This last month I did 5. But I've only got two more w126 boxes right now. One's done and the other I haven't touched yet. So unless I go get a box from a yard or someone sends me one, I'm almost dried up right now.
Quote:
If I could get hold of old steering boxes for 30 dollars I'd go into business - here the starting price is about 70 euros - there's not enough margin for a side line here - people wouldn't pay 200 euros plus for a reconditioned steering box here from someone who isn't a company anyway...
Yeah, I hear you on that one. It's more of a nice hobby for me, that I can make a little money on the side to improve the quality of my tool chest and my cars.

My local JYs are a little pricey from what I've seen. I've got 7 within a 2 hour radius that are all owned and operated by the same family. Sometimes the prices are just ridiculous. The one that gets my ire up is $7.50 per injector line. Which means almost $40 for the hard injector lines for a OM617! You can get a hood for $50! And each switch out of a car is $7. Which explains why I don't have many switches laying around.

A month or so ago up near York, Pa I hit up a JY and got a drivers seat bottom from a w126, two Palomino visors, 5 switches, a complete tool kit from a w123, two flawless w123 sedan taillight assemblies, two steering pump lids, a bunch of radiator mounting hardware, some door locking rods and a hood star for $25. Man, that was the best JY trip I've ever had. And there was only three Mercs in the whole yard.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]