Thread: Steering boxes
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
That is amazing - just wait until our resident JY "desert rat" Charmalu reads that!
haha. I've been told by the locals that the yard in question almost never has German cars. I was alerted by a roommate who frequented the yard while I was living in the area.

The best part about that trip was the w123 was a 300D that had been mostly ruined by people who didn't know how to pick parts from it. The dash and cluster had been smashed/ripped by a claw hammer, the engine bay showed several large prybay marks where a set of box end wrenches would've been sufficient, the seats both front and rear had been bent from someone trying to remove them with force, the sunroof panel had been cut with a knife and was still in place. The trunk lock had been bashed in and prybar marks were all around, but no one had been able to get into the trunk. The rear bench seat was pulled back and I could see evidence of someone trying to cut into the metal behind it (I guess until they realized that's where the fuel tank was). I simply popped off the First Aid kit tray, reached inside the trunk and popped it open. Inside was the complete tool kit, a few other nice tools and some original paperwork on the car.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]