View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 06:25 PM

OVP's can cause a number of problems. The dealer should know about the 67 45 being the latest/greatest OVP. The 52 45's that are made in Austria are the bad ones. If the dealer wants to replace the HFM control unit, fine. If it doesn't fix the problem they can simply take it back out. Don't let them tell you they can't do it that way either. From time to time I've had to try electrical parts for test purposes( almost always control units for various systems ). This approach shouldn't reflect poorly on the dealership, but installing a $1,400 part at the customers risk and expense certainly should! I've been in this position many times simply because there is no test that definitively points to the ECU as the problem. If they've checked everything that they should have, then they should have several hours into the car at this point. Tell them to go ahead and replace the ECU, but make it clear that you're not paying them if their diagnosis is wrong. This is a perfectly reasonable request. They can send it back if they don't use it, so don't let them tell you they can't. Like I said, I've done it on a number of occasions myself, although I'm happy to say that I've been right alot more often than I've been wrong. Let me know how it goes.