Thread: Spider webs
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

The web is still there but there is not enough contrast to get a good picture. Taking a closer look during the day it is even more impressive. In order for it to make the anchor line to the concrete it had to be on the over hang above it which is about 7 feet. It shot a single stand of silk straight down. So the air had to be perfectly still and even then it would have been fluttering I would think. Then it had to link some additional lines to stabilize the rest of the structure to this one anchor line.

As far as structures built by animals I cannot think of another that come close to a spider web. Beaver damns are impressive for their strength but lack the elegance of a web, same for bird nests (although the hanging ones can be pretty cool). Tunnel structures can be complex but again lack the elegance in my opinion. I say that spiders win.

I am thinking about taking this web down and see if it will build another one. This web is pretty trashed from the wind and a few catches so I get the feeling it needs a over haul any way. May be I can watch it being built this time.

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.