View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
If it has to do with the support it should be welded.
The Belly rust in the first pic could be covered with fiber Glass Cloth and Bondo or another Resin type stuff. But, if you are going to weld the other stuff you might as well weld that also.
In general I agree with what Diesel911 says here. However, I would NOT cover rust with fiberglass cloth and bondo! That will NOT stop rust. I know, I did it in the past, and the rust just keeps right on going.

You MUST remove all structurally-unsound rust, and then encapsulate the rust with something like POR15 or Miracle Paint (Kent Bergsma) with several coats. THEN you can place fiberglass with Miracle Paint acting as the resin.

Bottom line is, on all non-structural areas, you can patch with fiberglass, but the rust must be hermetically-sealed against air and water intrusion, or you are just hiding the problem and making it worse!

Sincerely,

Packer