View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 01:22 PM
It's possible that you might damage the wood by removing the switch that way. I don't mean the visible wood, I mean the wood that holds the switch in place. Console wood removal is fairly easy anyway.

From memory, remove the ashtray. Unscrew the two screws holding the ashtray mount. You have to contort the mount a little bit as you pull it out from the right side. You'll need to disconnect a wire on the left side.

You'll see two screws holding the wood in place. Remove those screws. Slightly slide the wood towards the back of the car, you'll need to remove the power mirror switch by reaching underneath and popping it out. With that out of the way, you can remove the console wood by pulling it back and out of the way. The wires for the power window switches will still be hanging on, but there should be plenty of slack in them. I can't speak for the heated seat switches.

While you've got it off, clean out the shifter boot and check your gear selector light to see if it needs to be replaced.
Mike Heath
1988 560SL Black/Palomino
1988 300SEL Black Pearl/Burgandy
1984 500SEC Anthracite Grey/Palomino