View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 09:03 PM

Smile 190D 2.2 Questions

Howdy,

I purchased an '84 190D 2.2 5 speed for daily transportation about a week ago and have been enjoying it immensely, but have a couple of questions.

(1) Controversial issue: I'm going to change the fluids here in the next week or so. What weight oil should I use? The manual recommends 10w40 for my temperature range, but this is a little harder to find in a synthetic grade. Is 5W30 weight in Mobil Delvac recommended? It will be mighty cold in Oklahoma in the next couple of weeks. I hate to start an oil debate, I'm pretty much sold on synthetic, so I'm really just interested in weight recommendations.

(2) I've been having problems when it is really cold (<40) getting the glowplug light to come on. It starts fine if the light comes on and it always comes on when it is warmer outside. Would this indicate a battery not up to snuff or is this an indication of another problem?

(3) The car vibrates at idle more than I think it should. I've run a bottle of Techron through it and it is running very well, but It seems the idle is set a little low. I can rev the engine a little in neutral and it smooths right out. Would this indicate any other problems?

It really does run and drive very nicely once it gets off idle.

Thanks,

Sholin

p.s. The only thing I have noticed driving it around is why is everybody in such a damn rush? People should slow down and enjoy the drive more.