View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Former Paint Maker

Hood is probably down to the primer surfacer, not the ecoat. Ecoat is usually darker, with a slightly greenish tinge to it--if I am seeing the picture correctly. I have one qualification, the areas I thinking are bare metal could be white, silver, or another light colored topcoat. I cannot really see it that well from the photo. If those areas are a light colored paint and not bare metal, then my comments below are incorrect.

If you look at the areas where the hood is sanded to bare metal, you see a darker area around the sanding area. That darker area is probably the ecoat. This is actually an advantage. The primer surfacer's main function is to protect the ecoat from UV and to provide a sandable surface. Untouched ecoat is best.

Spot prime the bare metal with non-sanding primer, spray a sanding primer if you feel it is necessary over the whole part, then topcoat. It should work quite well.

Whether my comments above are correct or not, I agree. This does look like a good deal.

One piece of advice: if that ends up being ecoat, get it out of the sun. I have seen ecoat chaulk with only 8 hours of sunlight. Bisphenol A epoxy has very poor UV resistance.

'93 500 SEL
A bad addiction. Takes all of my cash.

'12 Volvo S80 T6
Needed something that wasn't as hard to deal with as my bad addiction

'18 Mazda Miata
No more boring cars for everyday transport!