View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post

If you really love your Mercedes and want it to look and perform as good as possible you'll do what it needs and hang the cost. Perhaps you minimize the expense by buying used and/or online new parts when possible and doing the work yourself but you still do anything you can to make the car look good. OTOH, if you're like a friend of mine 20 years ago, you can buy a Honda and do nothing to it at all, just to see how long it would last (he got to at least 50,000 miles with zero spent on maintenance).

Jeremy
"hang the cost" is not really an option and I don't believe it's necessary. For some of these cars there is a point in it's life where it was cheap to keep. If you bought it new and sold it when the warranty ran out then you paid a premium for those miles but you got to enjoy a really great car.

Gregorios Sachinidis is at 2.8 million miles in his 240D. Do you think he's spent more than $280K ? He could have bought a lot of Crown Vics for that (probably not a practical Greek Taxi)

These cars are well designed and well built. THey go for 300,000 miles easily and the average 95 E300 is at 93% depreciation.

So how is my target cost per mile out of line? Maybe not a 95 E300, maybe something older and simpler with more parts available?

I could buy any number of E300's on CL right now for around $4K and drive it 20,000 miles (about nine months for me) and sell it for $2500

Of course, you can't own a car with a soul when you do that.

I've searched on "1995 E300" on all the MB forums and read most of what people are posting. I don't see a lot of sudden, catastrophic parts failure (none actually) And i don't find the parts to be much more expensive than parts for my newer Honda.

I know a lot of people just get into a particular car because they like the car but I figure there must be someone on this forum who approaches the cost the same way I do.

And just to be clear, my formula is; price of the car, divided by miles driven, minus the current value of the car- not counting consumables.

Thanks for indulging me

dave