View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Electrical Engineer

GENTLEMEN. LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO:

A broken helical gear on a governor:

And here is some information for anyone trying to do this in the future:

Rotate the snap ring all the way toward the front of the vehicle, so that its wedged against something. Then, go buy yourself a hook and scribe set. It looks
like this (there are two in the kit)

Insert this into the upper ear of the ring, and pull down, then use the other to help pull out the governor.

I also believe my drive gear will need to be replaced. It looks like one spline is damaged, I could not get very good pictures of this but, and this was just my first observation. I'm going to try to rotate the output shaft and see more of the drive gear. I've got a spare on hand but I'm just not sure about removing the old one. It seems to me that the tailshaft will have to be removed. I hope/believe that it can be done with the transmission ON THE CAR still... Just might require removing the drive shaft.

Yep looks like two of the splines are damaged. From the ATSG manual it looks like this job can be done with the trans on the car still. They actually didnt mention removing the driveshaft either. I think if I just remove the flex disc completely it would be enough room.. We'll see.

Here are the additional spline pictures, the lighter color section are where there should be material..but there is not. Why they used plastic gears..I'll never know.

Part Numbers:
Helical Gear for Governor: 201 274 03 15, $4
Snap Ring for Gear : 912009020100, $1.08

Drive Gear:201 274 00 15, $4
Drive Gear Snap Ring: 126 994 03 35, (might not be necessary), $2.16
Tailshaft Gasket: 201 271 01 80, $3

Now here is a good question, when I remove the tailshaft... How much of this stuff is going to stay in the tailshaft? That is to say, when I remove the tailshaft is everything to the right of item 30 going to be in the tail shaft once removed or am I going to have to remove all that stuff in order to get to the item indicated by the arrow?

It looks like the gear just parks up into item #10 and is held is with a snap ring....

Based on these pics I found from another 722.4 thread here on the forum. It looks like this is what I'll be greeted by with the tail shaft housing off..
It looks like if I remove that oil tube and the parking gear and that other helical gear I should have access... I'm hoping all that just slides out and isnt retained by any rings or such....

Access to this area, the red arrow pointing to the governor's helical gear, just above it should be the drive gear. It looks like there is a snap ring at the front of the drive gear but accessing it from the rear seems to negate the need to remove that snap ring.

From the way this is all assembled, it looks like any broken pieces would land in the tailshaft area and never make it back to the pan much less the rest of the transmission. I still have to order a new tail shaft gasket, $3, I wish I didn't have to... I mean I guess I could use the old one? But thats probably stupid/lazy.

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)

82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k

Last edited by JamesDean; 08-12-2012 at 12:33 PM.