View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 AM

mysterious air bubbles in wvo

Hi everybody. First the backstory:
I have been running wvo mixed with diesel in various percentages, mostly 25-50% wvo for 3-4 years with many trouble-free miles. I get the oil from someone who makes tofu so it is very clean with no animal fat. First I let it settle for a week or two and I've never seen any separation/ junk collect on the bottom. Then I run it through two bag type water filters; one 25/10 micron next 5/1 into a 55 gal drum, where I pump off 6-8" from the bottom. Absolutely NO problems until :
Now, suddenly I have air bubbles visible in the clear line from the injection pump to the fuel filter (1982 300sd, single tank, all stock). There is no air in the fuel before the ip, I have installed a clear piece of fuel line before the inline filter- no bubbles. I have checked and re-checked all the clamps, sealing rings etc. If I drain the wvo and use 100% diesel the bubbles go away- no more problems. I've done this several times, the problem is in the wvo- not in the cars fuel system.
So I thought I had some suspended water in the wvo and I bought a centrifuge, band heater and insulation for the drum. Heat the oil to 180f (max that band heater gets it to) run the centrifuge a few hours, let it settle a few days, drain from the very bottom of the drum- no water. Put some wvo in the car-more air bubbles from ip.
If I heat up a frying pan and pour new, clean oil in it just rolls around very freely. When I pour my wvo into a heated pan it rolls around freely, has NO snap crackle or pop like it would if it had water in it BUT I noticed there are air bubbles in my wvo on the bottom.
Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.