View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 AM
"King of this Hill"

Back in 1972 my dad bought a Mercedes Benz 280SE 4.5. I remember how proud my dad was at the time. He absolutely loved that car. And in that car we went on family vacations to Disneyland, Tahoe, Vancouver BC... We also took it to Tulelake for our annual duck/goose hunting trip.

We used that car all the time. For trips downtown San Francisco. And he loved to drive spiritedly. I remember one time, on our way to lunch he raced some guy in a red hot rod Mustang down the Great Highway along Ocean Beach in SF. It was unreal! We had six people in the car. I don't remember the results of the race. But I remember that my mom was not pleased. My grandmother didn't care.

He eventually sold the car for a 1984 Saab 900 which was beautiful but had no power. And it turned out to be a total lemon that had two motors replaced by the factory. But thats a story I don't care to remember.

So, I have been wanting a classic Mercedes for many years. I don't know why. To remember my dear dad? I don't know. But I do know this. Now 30 years later, after searching and looking at numerous cars. I have found my 1970 280S. And it feels amazing.

Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Coupe View Post
Miguel, Thanks for sharing your story and photos! I too grew up with and learned to drive in my parents' W108's. Like you, all these years later bought one of my own; a 1973 280SEL 4.5 from the original owner.

Happy Benzing!
Thanks. They are beautiful cars. Yours looks really nice!

Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedpanda View Post
great story ,and welcome, I love the 108's 114's and 5's
Your car looks to be in fine shape, do you have much history on her?
Yes, I do have some very interesting background on this car. In a "nutshell"...

It was a 100% Arizona car. Originally owned by a guy in Phoenix. I purchased the car from the 2nd owner. It was given to her in an inheritance but she never drove it and it sat in her climate controlled garage for many years.

I friend told me about the car and after some phone chat I bought a one way plane ticket to PHX and drove the car home that night, 800 miles, to San Francisco.

I just finished the DMV paperwork and got my plates. It is now officially a California car. So I celebrated by taking it on a drive through the Marin Headlands and then to Highway 1 across the Golden gate Bridge. I think she will enjoy The City life.

Picture taken on Balboa St at 38th Ave in front of the Balboa Theatre in San Francisco. One of the last independent theatre left in The City

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails
I just bought my "almost" new 280s-dscf6940.jpg   I just bought my "almost" new 280s-dscf6910.jpg   I just bought my "almost" new 280s-dscf6964.jpg   I just bought my "almost" new 280s-20120814_094606.jpg  

Last edited by whunter; 08-21-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: duplication