View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
Larry I don't have a dog in this race because I don't support either political party. I would dance happily if the repubs and dems burned on a boat, so I couldn't care less which one does what.

But if your going to argue a point, don't ramble, do it with facts because without them your just blowing hot air into the wind and wasting your effort.

Oh and BTW the occupant of the oval office has little to do with the economy. The economy goes in cycles and getting into office at a high or low is just luck.
Hat,
I disagree with your last point about the scant effect that the occupant of the Oval Office has on the economy. I think he/she can have great effect--but sometimes there are over-riding factors. The economy does have cycles, like you say, but they are not in a vacuum. The President sets the tone for an administration--a tone that is either friendly to business expansion, or opposed to it, a tone that supports politically well-connected big business, or middle class start ups. The President sets the tone for enforcement of (sometimes ) arcane laws that can be used to stifle, or promote business' interests. The President sets the tone for the culture that is either positive and bright, or dismal and negative.
The President has a great effect on the economy.
Can he/she walk in a throw a switch on the wall, and immediately turn around the economy? No, of course not, but there are many ways the President is an important factor in how well the economy does.