View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM

ALMOST 150,000 MILES IN SPRINTER

So our 2003 Sprinter has 400 miles to go to get to 150K. I would love to say its been the most reliable vehicle in the world but it hasn't been. It has been more reliable than other vehicles in the family though. Issues we have had with the van include the "Black Death" at around 120K, the alternator went at around 125K, EGR valve went at around 135K, the locking system has never really worked perfectly, and some interior pieces have broken/fallen off because of poor quality. I really do like this van and I am learning to drive in it and although it may be hard to see you of, it handles very well for something of its size (as compared to our 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis with 183,000 miles on it and needs some suspension work done). I feel that this van could do 500K+ miles if it continues to be maintained regularly because the Black Death was just a defect from the factory (which I think should have been covered under warranty but wasn't) and the fix is supposed to make sure it doesn't happen again and the EGR valve replacement was supposed to last much longer as the original design was revamped to get past the issues it had. Also when we had the EGR valve replaced, our mechanic went took it over the the local Mercedes dealership to have the recalls repaired (he actually worked on it with the mechanic at the dealership to make sure that mechanic was doing it correctly) and pretty much the engine had a top end rebuild.