View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:37 AM
Older = Better

My inexpensive w123 spring compressor

I recently did a front end job and I had to r&r the springs. I'm always interested in expanding my tool collection, and I'm really into making things myself.

It's a 3/4" threaded rod with acme threads (the thick flat threads you see on tools), with one nut welded to one end, and one free nut. Two 3/4" washers. The plates are actually spring perches from a w126. I knew these would work because taking the load of a Mercedes spring is what they're made for!

I cut the edge off of the perches so they could be inserted between loops. I made sure that I retained the part of the perch that dips down, so the plate would end up as helical as possible. Then I used a dremel to cut a 3/4" hole in the middle of the perches (it was the only method available at the time and I was pressed for time).

It worked beautifully. The total cost was about $40. I scored the nuts on ebay for about $15 (these nuts are really expensive so that was a deal). I got the rod from grainger for about $17, picked it up at the store. I had the washers already. The spring perches were a few bucks each from Pick n Pull. I wish I bought w123 perches, because apparently w126 springs are wider! Even with the perches being larger than my springs, it still worked. If I had w123 perches, I wouldn't have had to cut off as much material (for clearing the frame rail).

So now you can have a cheap sturdy spring compressor. The only catch is the welded nut - if you don't have a welder (most people don't) just take it to a muffler shop and they'll do it for $5-10. I used to do that, then I just invested in a little welder.
Attached Thumbnails
My inexpensive w123 spring compressor-tool-apart.jpg   My inexpensive w123 spring compressor-compressed1.jpg   My inexpensive w123 spring compressor-compressed2.jpg  
'74 280
'87 Porsche 944 turbo