View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the advice Joe, but unfortunately for me...I have that "one" car. I just spent a frustrating hour fiddling with this thing and I think the only thing I can do is tow the car to the dealer. The key really hasn't moved much more even with the additional force provided by the visegrips. The plastic is now breaking away from the metal key portion, so there was significant force used. Again with the key it turns about 1/8" to a 1/4" and when I use my other cars key it doesn't turn at all. So this eliminates the soon to be destroyed tumblers as the culprit. The electrical part of the switch is full of plastic parts so I think something would have given if it was binding there. That leaves the steering lock assembly, athough, I really can't think of any parts that could cause this "lock". My only thought is that a metal part broke somewhere and the loose piece is now lodged in the outer lock assembly and is blocking the travel. The long and short of it is that a drill and a tow truck are in this car's future. Just a note, on my 190e there where two holes which a release tool was used to extract the lock cylinder, I don't see any in this car...does the black sheild unlock when the key is turned? Just curious.