View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 AM
GemstoneGlass

I didn't kill my motor after all. Maybe

It was just tired already, but its running better after MMO in the cylinders for days.
well here is the low down
this is an engine from a 81 TDt that was wrecked. Rolled over.
I thought it was dead. it may still be, but it runs like it always has since i have had it.
I changed the oil recently and only got around 5 quarts maybe a little less out of the engine.
The engine started running rough and i figured it was just a clogged fuel filter, or the valve lash was off. well both of those needed fixing. I figured I would repair my oil leak at the oil filter tower to block seal. I did all the work in the same job.
Once i got it all back together, valve lash done and the fuel bled. I start it and it runs horribly. Worse than ever. Its shaking all over the place and smoking. So I check the basics like air in the fuel and valves adj. No avail.
I decide to check the compression and bummer only like 180 on #5 and 230 on #4. i put a tablespoon or so of oil in and compression went up. Extra bummer. After checking those problem cylinders i just got bummed and gave up.
Since i was using a POS Hfreight compression tester I decided to let a trusted indy do a leakdown test. On Cyl #1,2,3 compression was good 4 and 5 had approximately 75 % leakage.
I'm bummed thinking i ran it out of oil. It never lost pressure though as far as I know. Indy tells me to put MMO in the Cylinders and let it sit for a few days. I put one bottle each cylinder #4 and 5 and come back to blow it out by cranking without injectors, and nothing comes out. It went into the crank case.
Well I drive it for a bit and nothing is better. then i give up since I had shoulder surgery coming up.
So six and a half weeks later i go start it and it smokes a bunch. I take it for a drive and it runs smoothly no missing. I'm thinking well its probably just the biodiesel making it smoother. so I put in diesel #2 and still runs good
I decide to check compression. I check only #5 which was the worst . It was pretty much dead. So i have the compression tester hooked up, I crank it, the motor sputters for a few seconds because the other injectors are hooked up and the compression goes all the way to 420 Psi. I check it again with no sputter and its back down to 180 or so.
I check the other good cylinder #1 and it goes all the way to 500 or something with the same type of sputtering of the engine.
So I believe this may be the same testing method i used when i first tested the engine making me believe it was a like new motor when really it was tired.
Well none the less, it is back to the same running condition that it was when i installed the engine. The idle is a little shaky but it is clearly running on all cylinders. I loosen injector lines to check.
One other thing is the lack of major blow-by. I take off the oil lid and it barely moves. If i remove it all together some blow-by is apparent but nothing major. Oil does not come out when it is idleing with the cap off.
So I'm going to take it out on a long drive after changing the oil to get the MMO out. Maybe It is not over after all. What do you think.

Chris
84 280sl
82 300d euro