View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Control Freak

My 17 yo son was driving and our 14 yo son was in the passenger seat. They were coming home from band practice about 7:30 pm last Monday night. It had just lightly rained for a couple minutes and stopped. The asphalt road was very slick due to the oil rising to the top with the slight rain and no more behind it to wash it off.

He was coming off the main road (limit 45, he says he was doing somewhat less due to the rain) and began to make the right turn coming into our development. He understeered, he says he turned the wheel but the car kept going straight. He hit the 4" concrete median curb at a 45 degree angle. The median had a flower bed in it so the only casualty besides the car was a half dozen pansies.

Car does not have ABS, I suspect he may have locked the front wheels when applying the brakes to make his turn. I think the slick asphalt caught him by surprise.

He did the Richard Petty teen skid pad course at CMS last fall, he remembered what to do, let off the brakes, but just ran out of road to get it straightened out again before hitting the curb.

What is important is that no one is hurt, the car can hopefully be fixed, and my kids are safe.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech