View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM

S320L LPG/Propane conversion build thread - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Here's someone that installed the LPG in a W140. An S320
Looks clean. The guy is in UK and there might be some regulations regarding the LPG there that a different from the US.

Has anyone had any experience with Home Made LPG installations in the US. We have Smog Checks in California and they are every 2 years. I don't mind pulling the Front Pressure regulator once very 2 years if that's the only option.

EDIT: google helped

"California regulations prohibit conversion of emission-controlled vehicles with retrofit systems to operate on alternative fuels, such LPG, unless the retrofit systems have been evaluated and certified by the Air Resources Board (ARB). Assuming your vehicle was converted using a retrofit system certified for that vehicle, you will need to contact the manufacturer (based on your email, it would be IMPCO) and request a label. I don't know whether it's common practice for manufacturers to re-issue labels (i.e. if fallen off after long use) and if they do, whether they would require inspection/documentation (i.e. sales receipt)."

Basically if it doesnt have a CARB sticker saying it is approved by ARB your not going to smog your vehicle. I have been trying to find a loop hole for a over a year. Im at the point of selling my propane set up.