View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM

I've done water washing for 7 years, dry washing for about a year.

Water washing...
I use fine misting nozzles to mist cold water over the BD in an open-topped barrel. Water is heavier than BD, so it will drop to the bottom, bringing the crud/soaps with it.

I do this for about 5 hours, or until the water that I drain off the bottom is clear or a very faint yellow, like weak lemonade.

Very easy to see visually when the wash process is complete.

I then bubble low pressure air through a pipe with holes in it submerged in the BD to dry it. I do this overnight...about 8 hours.

Drywashing...
I have a 6" tower with de-ionizing material and wood chips in it. I have a small pump inline to get it started, but then shut if off and let gravity/siphoning move the bd from wash tank through tower to finished tank.

This is much easier...no draining to tend to.

However, the finished BD looks exactly like the beginning BD, so i never know if the tower is effective. No visual to go by. Not having an ASTM lab in my house, it means I'm shooting in the dark. No feedback on when the drywash media is "saturated"

My 2005 CDI exhibited a lot of injector rap on the drywashed BD, so i only feed it waterwashed. The Cummins, the '83, and my home furnace are all fine with the drywashed BD.
05 MB E320CDI 232k White
05 MB E320CDI 209k Tectite Grey
99 Dodge 2500 Cummins 5sp 148k
62 Jeep CJ-6 120k